Fundraising is an ever-evolving landscape, so each month, we speak with a seasoned investor to bring founders up-to-the-moment insights and tactical advice for their next fundraise.
In this episode of Fundraising Today, Mercury’s Head of Community, Mallory Contois, is joined by Marco DeMeireles, Co-founder and General Partner of Ansa, a New York-based VC firm that primarily focuses on growth-stage startups. As we wrap up Q3, Marco shares his take on how startups can raise successfully in today’s market.
Watch their discussion or read the key takeaways below to glean Marco’s thoughts.
- There is a wide spectrum of activity: Marco mentions that the fundraising environment is diverse, with some companies raising funds at premium multiples, while others face challenges due to the “dry powder,” or liquidity, concentrated in just a few management companies.
- Summer didn’t slow down: Ansa has been very active this summer — they have engaged with 900 companies and issued the most term sheets in Q3 of this year.
- SME tech is attractive: Marco highlights the promise of SME tech, serving businesses in various industries that face similar problems related to getting work, doing it efficiently, and getting paid.
- Preparation is key: Marco emphasizes the importance of preparation for founders seeking Seed or Series A funding. He advises companies to create an FAQ document that covers essential aspects of their business, allowing them to fundraise more efficiently.
- Focus on what you can control: Rather than getting overwhelmed by market conditions, Marco suggests taking proactive steps and addressing controllable aspects of their business to stand out in the fundraising process.
Looking for more insights courtesy of Marco? Follow him on X.