Staff Product Designer, Cards
In 1954, Eero Saarinen designed a branch office with glass walls, no offices, and a completely open floor plan in Columbus, Indiana. It was surrounded by trees; the furniture was made by Herman Miller; the lobby flooring was thick, rustic brick. It was built with transparency and community at its core. Since then, a lot of things have happened—Saarinen’s branch is now a conference center, people increasingly live on the internet, and it’s hard to think of a single financial institution that still applies design thinking to their company.
Mercury is on a mission to defy those expectations. We’re a financial technology company that helps startups spend less time banking and more time building. We believe that the key to our success revolves around thoughtful design and we’re looking to add a senior product designer to help build amazing experiences that shape and define Mercury’s new IO Card. Building on IO's foundation, your designs will expand the product's impact on founders, employees, and beyond.
Our design team consists of 30+ people who love to solve complex problems through design, but are equally passionate about cultivating, guiding, and inspiring each other through their work to foster a collaborative environment of experimentation and innovation.
What you’ll do at Mercury:
- Lead design solutions that define the future of Mercury’s IO Card.
- Collaborate with fellow designers, product, and engineering partners to craft a long-term vision and roadmap for your product area.
- Work across the entire design stack, including speccing projects, designing workflows, detailed interactions, and high-fidelity visuals, and ensuring quality implementation.
- Find elegant solutions to user problems and think critically from the user perspective.
- Simplify and cull design elements with a ruthless eye.
- Craft designs from first principles.
- Imbue mundane tasks and flows with a feeling of wonder.
- Prototype multiple visual and UX concepts and then narrow them to the right solution.
- Communicate the reasoning behind your product decisions and arrive at the most optimal solution together with your team.
You are the right fit if you:
- Have experience leading a team with cross-functional partners to define product strategy.
- Are comfortable running different types of qualitative research and using it to inform product decisions.
- Have a strong understanding of when and how to use metrics to inform design and measure success.
- Have experience and / or be excited about working on cards, spending products, or fintech.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as experience working with executives, founders, or the c-suite.
- Have the ability to design whole systems, not just interface elements or static pages.
- Have experience and interest in the entire design stack, including UI/UX, visual design, and interaction design.
- Have experience building for a variety of form factors, including mobile and web.
- Understand when no design is the best design.
- Have a strong design aesthetic that can influence and uplevel the Mercury aesthetic.
- Feel comfortable anticipating and designing for edge cases.
- Understand the balance between perfect design and getting to market.
- Exhibit kindness and humility in everyday interactions.
- Enjoy working with fellow designers of all levels.
The total rewards package at Mercury includes base salary, equity (stock options), and benefits.
Our salary and equity ranges are highly competitive within the SaaS and fintech industry and are updated regularly using the most reliable compensation survey data for our industry. New hire offers are made based on a candidate’s experience, expertise, geographic location, and internal pay equity relative to peers.
Our target new hire base salary ranges for this role are the following:
US employees (any location): $212,500–$250,000
Canadian employees (any location): CAD 193,400–227,500
About the team
Curious, supportive, and thoughtful, we care about making product our parents can be proud of. We think rigorously, design elegantly, and never take ourselves too seriously.