Head of Strategic Finance
We are looking for a Head of Strategic Finance who can be Mercury’s navigator through the cosmic ocean journey of building a better way for startups and scaling companies to bank* and run their financial operations. This person will help guide Mercury through some of our largest strategy decisions while building a solid foundation for financial planning and management. This role will report to the VP of Finance and can be based remotely in the US.
*Mercury is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by Choice Financial Group and Evolve Bank & Trust®; Members FDIC.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and develop our new Strategic Finance function (currently a team of three) and help set the foundation for how the team works at Mercury. Not afraid to roll up your sleeves and serve as player-coach when needed.
- Own our financial forecasting and planning processes, collaborating across the company to determine hiring plans and budgets that responsibly set up Mercury for success.
- Help set business goals and hold cross-functional partners accountable.
- Partner across the company on key strategic questions impacting everything from go-to-market to product to operations to partnerships decisions.
- Drive future fundraising, board meetings, and investor reporting.
Who You Are:
10+ years of finance experience with high-growth technology companies.
- Experience at both earlier stage startups and larger public tech companies is ideal. You know what scale and best-in-class practices look like but also know the full breadth of questions relevant to an earlier stage company and can build a bridge between the two.
- Fintech experience is a huge plus but not required.
- Investment banking and/or private equity experience is a plus but not required.
You’re good with numbers, but more importantly with people.
- Experience managing a team is a must - you lead with deep empathy and care for your team while enabling them to be their best.
- Trusted thought partner - cross-functional partners trust you and come to you to collaborate on problems.
- Excellent communication skills - you can translate complicated financial topics into understandable concepts for the broader company and effortlessly tell the story behind the numbers.
Self-starter, first principles thinker, natural builder.
- You enjoy tackling new problems and don’t need a prior mental model to think through them. You think about problems from multiple perspectives (product, customer, brand, etc.) and can weigh trade-offs wisely.
- You can grasp ambiguous problems and determine a clear path forward with little direction required.
- You not only help drive financially sound decisions but also can design and implement thoughtful processes that help the company run better.
Care about our customers and product, not just our financials.
- We’re building a financial stack that serves finance teams like our own. We’re looking for an active product thinker who is constantly thinking how Mercury as a product can better serve ourselves and hence our customers.
The total rewards package at Mercury includes base salary, equity (stock options), and benefits.
Our salary and equity ranges are highly competitive within the SaaS and fintech industry and are updated regularly using the most reliable compensation survey data for our industry. New hire offers are made based on a candidate’s experience, expertise, geographic location, and internal pay equity relative to peers.
Our target new hire base salary ranges for this role are the following:
- US employees in New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, or the San Francisco Bay Area: $243,600 - $286,600 USD
- US employees outside of New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, or the San Francisco Bay Area: $219,200 - $257,900 USD
About the team
At Mercury, the Finance team isn’t here to pinch pennies – we steer the company toward our big ambitions. We use our math skills, critical thinking, and relationships to guide decisions that make sense for our unique business.